Below is the full text of a letter from San Leandro Unified superintendent Cindy Cathey regarding the school shooting in Newtown, Conn.
December 14, 2012
A Message from the Superintendent
It with heavy heart that I address our community regarding the horrible tragedy that hasoccurred at Sandy Hood Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. While the details are still unfolding through the media, it is known that many children and adults have lost their lives in this unspeakable tragedy. The shooter has also killed himself. Our sympathies and compassion go out to the families and the Newtown community. I understand the concerns that our students, staff and community will have regarding this event and our safety. Please be reminded of
- The safety of our students and staff is our highest priority always.This event is highly unusual and in fact in study after study, schools are named as one of the safest places for our students to be
- We have done training for our campus supervisors in active supervisor and being vigilant.
- Our schools regularly practice safety drill procedures and our administrators use radio communication and practice drills twice monthly.
- The city has provided us with three School Resource Officers to help ensure the safety of our students and campuses. While they are primarily serving the secondary schools, they can help at elementary when needed.
- Students showing signs of anxiety will be offered counseling support.
- We have a policy where all visitors MUST sign in in the office.
I am asking staff, as we have been - especially during this pre-holiday season – to be extra vigilant in our observations and general security measures. Please know that our district employees are aware of the protocols in place to report and respond to unusual circumstances. Additionally, the San Leandro Police Department has notified me that their Patrol staff has been directed to spend extra time around the schools to add to our safety measures. We appreciate this quick response from our police department. Our hearts go out to the families in Newtown, Connecticut. We here in San Leandro are doing everything possible to ensure the safety of our students and staff, who are our highest priority.