The I-580 Traffic Jam: Where Were You?

Police closed Interstate 580 east from Saturday afternoon until early Sunday morning to investigate whether a driver intentionally killed a Hells Angel motorcyclist. Traffic jammed up throughout San Leandro.

With any luck your car stayed parked last night.

Otherwise you would have faced the traffic that flooded onto San Leandro streets as a result of yesterday's lengthy shutdown of Interstate 580 east.

The cause was a fatal hit-and-run that police are calling murder.

If you were caught on the highway, please share any comments and upload any pictures you may have taken.

If you were out last night and noticed the heavy traffic on Bancroft Avenue, East 14th Street and other major arteries, here's why.

Shortly before 4:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, an East Bay Paratransit van collided with a motorcyle near the Grand Avenue onramp of Interstate 580 East, according to police reports.

Authorities say the van, which carried no passengers, was driven by 31-year-old Eddie Hall of Oakland.

Police say the van ran over the motorcyclist, who was apparently a member of the Hells Angels. He has been pronounced dead but has not yet been identified.

The van dragged the motorcycle for several miles until it pulled over at the 150th Avenue exit.

Authorities say Hall attempted to flee but was arrested by Alameda County Sheriff's deputies.

The highway remained closed east of 150th Avenue until about 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning as police searched for clues.

Hall has been arrested on suspicion of felony hit-and-run and murder.

Traffic is now back to normal.

Karen Clyde October 23, 2011 at 07:35 PM
I was traveling east on 580 when I saw cars ahead of me suddenly hit the brakes. Traffic became very slow and it was clear that cars were trying to get around whatever had happened. I saw a number of cars pull over to the right and people get out of their cars, and some people got out on the left side of the freeway and climbed up the embankment, and were communicating with people on the other side. Traffic continued to inch forward slowly until emergency vehicles arrived, including 2 fire trucks, and the traffic was stopped completely. I was stuck for nearly 2 hours about 6 cars back from the crime scene tape in the second lane from the left. At one point, I had to move my car over because part of the skid mark was right next to my car. A man who appeared to be a witness walked back with a cop along the skid mark telling him where the accident started. After, a number of cops and CHP walked back along the skid mark. I didn't know until well after I got home what had happened, only the rumor that the motorcyclist had died.. Finally, just before 6, we were allowed to turn around and drive backward down the freeway to get off at the previous on-ramp (Grand). At one point I walked up to the crime scene tape, mainly to see what the cops were doing, but you couldn't see anything other than a pile of what appeared to be clothes in the middle. I wasn't close enough to be sure that they were actually clothes, but that seemed to be the consensus. I didn't take any pictures.
earse October 24, 2011 at 01:13 AM
I lived right next to 580 where the driver pulled over. He was wearing a bright orange vest. He jumped over the fence and wondered around our apartments. He looked very confused. about two minutes later we heard sirens and when we looked back out side the police had the guy in hand cuffs. I thought someone shot a paratransit driver not til this morning I heard the story on the news. Really sad
Tom Abate (Editor) October 24, 2011 at 01:45 AM
Karen: Sorry for your woes. Earse: It was indeed sad all around and a huge inconvenience for so may. Did either of you happen to take any pictures that you could share? Meanwhile Patch editor Tanya Rose of Pleasanton was also snagged in the traffic but not quite so dramatically as Karen. Here's her report: "I spent the whole day in SF and Oakland and then jumped on the freeway around 11 p.m. for what I thought was going to be a 30-minute drive back to Pleasanton. UGH. Traffic was at a complete standstill - I got on at 13 and spent two hours (!!) inching forward only to be pushed off the freeway entirely at the 98th Street exit (got on in Oakland, got off in Oakland). It was insane - there were so many flares on the ground. you could see the remnants - you could tell that they'd been burning flare after flare all day, maybe like 10 deep at every spot. I checked my phone and saw the CCT story, then went to SL Patch and read the longer version (while I was completely stopped - nothing else to do!). Anyway, I didn't get home till almost 2 a.m. and that was after having to snake through San Leandro and Castro Valley (got back on the freeway somewhere in Castro Valley). Thank GOD for my Garmin and the "avoid highways" feature. "
SL Girl October 24, 2011 at 06:00 AM
I was on 580 right when it happened. I actually drove around the body of the motorcyclist and it was a horrific view. Some of the people that pulled over were directing traffic to the left. At this point the police had not arrived yet so I assume it must have just happened because only a few cars were ahead of me. When I was moving to the left I had no idea I would see a mans body in the middle of the freeway. I tried to distract my 6 year old from looking in the direction of the biker. So very sad.
Veronica October 26, 2011 at 09:19 AM
There was another motorcycle accident on eastbound 580 in San Leandro Sunday afternoon. I saw the man lying on the road. Ambulance had not arrived yet. I can't find any info about this on the web. I want to know what happened to the cyclist.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »