(Issued by the office of new local CHP Chief Lt. Christopher Sherry, who is profiled today.)
There is a common misconception that the California Highway Patrol (CHP) writes tickets to generate revenue for its operations. Nothing could be further from the truth. The CHP receives no funding from traffic fines. We enforce the law for one compelling reason: to save your life.
The CHP Castro Valley area is unique because it provides service not only to motorists traveling on Interstate 580, but also to residents of unincorporated Alameda County.
CHP Castro Valley Officers respond to vehicle collisions in residential neighborhoods and on rural county roads.
Over the past three years only 30% of fatal collisions recorded in the CHP's Castro Valley area occurred on Interstate 580. The other 70% occurred within residential neighborhoods and on rural county roads.
Officers enforce Prima Facie speed limits, posted regulatory signs (i.e. Stop Signs), traffic signals, pedestrian crossings and many other violations on a daily basis. The CHP’s intent is to reduce the number of fatal, injury, and property damage collisions which occur on the roadways.
Conducting traffic enforcement at an intersection which is controlled by stops signs is just as important as removing impaired drivers from the roadway.
If a driver fails to stop for a stop sign and is involved in a traffic collision, the potential for loss of life or injury is equivalent to someone driving under the influence.
The primary goal of the CHP is to provide the highest level of safety, service, and security to the people of California, in this case Castro Valley and vicinity.
Officers also provide “Start Smart” teen driver and “Older Driver” safety classes to the public with a special emphasis on inattention.
If you have any questions or concerns, please free to contact the CHP Castro Valley area office (510) 581-9028 or follow us on Twitter @ chpcastrovalley.