The Alameda County Grand Jury met in January 4, 1864, declaring the Alameda County Jail a public nuisance. The Board of Supervisors appealed to the Representatives of the Legislature to have a bill passed as soon as possible, authorizing the levy of a special tax for the erection of a county jail and making needed repairs to the courthouse.
A contract was entered into with Messrs. Kittredge & Leavitt for the construction of an iron cell to cost $1,600 a work that was at once proceeded with, reported complete, and paid for September 5, 1864. On May 23rd a proposition to make the jail of the City of Oakland a branch of that of the county for the confinement of persons where the city was liable for the expenses of keeping, was received and referred to the Alameda County District Attorney.
Could it be that the content of the Grand Jury, Board of Supervisors, Contruction Management, District Attorney and the City of Oakland have not changed at all over these past one hundred and forty nine years? On the surface of it the special interests, crooks and feeders at the public trough have not changed much.