Now is the time to sit on your garden bench or lounger and relax!
- Water Especially citrus or they will drop their fruit. Azaleas, camellias and rhododendrons need to be watered now in order to set buds for next year. Young trees need water too!
- Fertilize Anything in flower or budding can be fertilized now. Water first then add fertilizer.
- Divide irises This should be done every three to four years depending on compaction of bulbs. Pull up bulbs with shovel or pitchfork, ease bulbs apart. Replant and share extras with neighbors.
- Remove spent blossoms on all flowering plants.
Vegetable and Fruit Garden
- Harvest! Pick all fruit and vegetables that are ready. Clean up decaying matter off ground. It’s good to have a clean environment around all plants.
- Prune berry vines after harvest.
- Sow cool-season crops such as beets, carrots, lettuce and radishes.
Read more of Angele's gardening and landscaping tips in the Patch Archives.